With the kind support of Keswick Foundation, Department of Applied Social Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Department of Sociology and Social Work, Sun Yat-sen University Jointly conduct the project “ A Hand in Hand Capacity Building Model in Disaster Reconstruction and Preparedness".
In view of the frequent occurrences of disasters in Sichuan in recent years, this project aims to develop a disaster preparedness, education and practice model and a solid disaster responding network by leveraging the multi-disciplinary professional collaboration, transferring the knowledge and experience from Wenchuan to Ya’an.
This project consists of two parts: Capacity Building Model in Disaster Reconstruction and Preparedness – an Action Research in Sichuan, China and Hospital-based Rehabilitation Clinical Education Site. Also, a disaster recovery and preparedness curriculum will also be developed.
Capacity Building Model in Disaster Reconstruction and Preparedness – an Action Research in Sichuan, China
- To access though engagement of needs and resources of the local community
- To develop and imply the knowledge (software) and infrastructures (hardware) towards a Disaster Management Resource Facility.
- To provide basic tools and equipment, first aid and first responder requirements, whilst providing basic human needs and services including running water, warmth and shelter.
- To develop village’s access to knowledge, information, skills and resources bases.
- To develop methodological (research) approach aimed at sustainable community development and resilient community development.
Programme delivered: warming winter programmes, eco-farming, redesigning the community, community school, training and capacity building, community kitchen
Hospital-based Rehabilitation Clinical Education Site
- To set up a clinical learning environment
- To develop an occupational therapy clinical education model incorporating both hospital-based and community based rehabilitation programme for patients.
- To establish a sustainable model in post-disaster rehabilitation
- To set up a hospital-community interface system
Programme delivered: rehabilitation program, the needed treatment, home visit and environment modification, evaluation of service needs at hospitals, conduct a survey on patients’ feedbacks