Mission and Aims
Yunnan University - The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Design and Social Development Centre consists of four departments / schools from both universities – the Department of Public Management and School of Art and Design of Yunnan University;and the Department of Applied Social Sciences and School of Design of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. The joint centre was inaugurated in May 2007 and it is the first and only joint centre that researches on design and social development and is devoted to foster the development of rural social work research in the world.
The mission of the centre is to provide an international, cross discipline and cross cultural platform for design,social work,social policy and other social sciences disciplines to integrate research, education and practical experiences in promoting cultural diversity and sustainable social development in local communities. Besides, the centre also explores and develop new frameworks for fostering social advancement of ethnic minorities. The centre devotes its attention to preserving natural and cultural heritage and protecting the interests of minority ethnic groups.
- Co-production of Quasi Public Goods: Community and Collective Action in Villages of Three Provinces, China
- Pathways to Social Development and Rural Social Work: Fair Trade, Rural-Urban Alliance and Poverty Intervention in Yunnan Province
- Production of Public Good and Recasting Rural Community: A Case Study of Collective Action in a Village of Yunnan Province, PRC
- Support for Bao Yi, Miao and Yi minority groups’ art and crafts projects (Implemented by School of Design, PolyU)
- Collaboration with Yunnan All-women’s Federation to develop women empowerment projects
- Collaboration with the Cultural Office of British embassy to develop and explore social enterprise projects
- Migrant Children’s education
- Services to migrant population